Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Do not give heed to all the things that men say

Ecc 7:21-22  Do not give heed to all the things that men say, lest you hear your servant cursing you; your heart knows that many times you have yourself cursed others.

Following yesterday's post on snickering at others, this verse stood out to me.  Granted, I don't run around cursing others.  But it does bring up some interesting ideas.

1.  Don't listen to all that is said against you, as it is likely you've said wrong things as well.  How easy it is to forget that we are not sinless when we desire to be angry with someone else over something said.  I was talking with a friend the other day about arguing.  We weren't arguing right then, but we have in the past.  I don't like it.  I get my feelings hurt.  I never could tell if she did though at the time, so I think I unconsciously assumed it didn't bother her.  Apparently she gets her feelings hurt too!  She is not alone in sometimes saying hurtful words, as I (probably more frequently than her) spit them out as well.

2.  Maybe we should stop doing that.  Sometimes when I'm thinking a particularly nasty thought I try to remind myself that somebody could be thinking something similar, or nastier, of me.  I am not perfect. I should not be judging of others.

~~~

The dogs continue to do well.  I think I've convinced Hercules he gets more love from me if he sits.  He's just so happy to see me when I come home or out in the morning though he tends to forget.  He runs so fast through the kitchen he slides on the floor, just like those toilet paper commercials with the puppy.  Only he weighs 50+ lbs so it is somewhat more dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment