Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day

Today, 3/14, is Pi Day, in honor of the number pi.

e to the x
e to the y
e to the x dx dy
cosine secant tangent sine
3.14159
PV = nRT
C'mon Miners, victory!


That's the unofficial fight song of Missouri University of Science and Technology, fka the University of Missouri - Rolla.  I attended UMR and graduated in 2004 with a degree in Engineering Management.  Memories of UMR are a mixture of things I enjoyed and an even larger portion of things I wish I'd not done.  This was just going to be a post about the beauty of Pi, but it has really made me think of a few things from my college days.

College would have been easier had I been following the Lord at that time.  I spoke with a young woman about how life gets easier with God yesterday.  Follow God's plan for your finances and you seem to have more money.  Help others before helping yourself and you find that you have fewer needs.  I've never been as happy as I have been in the past few years, and if you'd told me five years ago the things I enjoy doing now I would have thought you were crazy.  I thought I was happy but had no idea how happy I could be or how easy my life could become.

Five years ago, I did not want to entertain in my home.  It was easier to either go out or stay in by myself (I'm an introvert).  Other people could also be problematic if I didn't know them very well, as they'd likely be annoying in what they talked about or want things from me.  A few years ago, there was an ice storm and some people I barely knew showed up and gave me food and took care of some of my ice-laden tree branches.  I felt compelled to have them over for dinner after the power was back on, and a few months later they talked to me about God.  Now I have people over all the time, with my volunteer group seeing my house as more of a loving bed and breakfast.  And I love it!

Five years ago, I carried a balance on my credit card (a 0% APR one though, as I'd plan ahead at least for those special credit offers).  Charity was if I walked by someone collecting for a good cause and I had cash in my pocket I didn't plan on using in a vending machine.  I was never terribly stressed about money, but I was never comfortable about it either.  Now I have a detailed budget, with God at the top (meaning I "take home" less than I did), and yet suddenly I have more to spend, no credit card balance, an emergency fund, and no need to even think about my budget unless I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy something.

I have all sorts of other examples, but really I cannot believe how wonderful my life is now that I follow Jesus.  Being in the service of the King is the most incredible job ever!

This weekend some Catholics will have the Gospel reading of the Prodigal Son, which as a revert to Catholicism is one of my favorites.  I remember returning to the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time after so many years at a communal penance service.  The reading then was also the Prodigal Son, and afterward I went and told the priest how long I'd been away.  I was fearful of what he might say, but he didn't even wait for me to finish before he got a huge grin and exclaimed "Welcome HOME!"

God wants all of His children back, no matter how far they have strayed.  Our God is indeed an awesome God!  I'll leave with a link to The Sacred Page again, this time on the Prodigal Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment