Wednesday, March 24, 2010

If I speak, my pain is not assuaged, and if I forbear, how much of it leaves me?

If I speak, my pain is not assuaged, and if I forbear, how much of it leaves me?  Job 16:6

I'm in the midst of Job, which I definitely did not get the first time I read it.  It makes more sense now!  A little bit of knowledge and a lot of help from the commentary go a long way.  A variety of verses have struck me as I've been going through it, including the one above.

I've been trying to fight the temptation to argue with people recently.  Arguments don't usually gain much, and this verse reminded me that even telling them what I think doesn't actually make me feel better.  That little voice inside that says "You should defend yourself against this injustice," or "It'll be better after you discuss it," or "If you don't vent your anger it will build up," is lying most of the time.  Sure there's things that need defending, but how frequently does that actually happen?


In completely unrelated news, I'm getting a second dog tonight.  A black German Shepherd named Hercules to play with my rowdy girl Starbuck.  We'll see how it goes, and I'll have pictures!

1 comment:

  1. So true, Julie! But it is so hard to stay quiet. I think this will be my life long battle, but battle I will!

    ReplyDelete