Thursday, March 4, 2010

Perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened

Then Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, "Choose for yourselves one bull and prepare it first, for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire to it." 1 Kings 18:25



As I read this today, I had to wonder if at that point, they knew they were in trouble. Or perhaps they really thought their "god" existed and was going to help them out. I decided probably the latter, or they wouldn't have worked so hard on it all morning or cut themselves up to get his attention. So here we have a bunch of guys who really think they are doing the right thing and worshiping a true god, only to discover (with quite permanent consequences) they were wrong. Most people hate being wrong, but it seems altogether less pleasant in this case. I do love this story though. The crowd starts off non-responsive and then after the display is moved to kill the false prophets at Elijah's order. I also wonder what their faces looked like after his sacrifice was set aflame.


I have a terrible cold today and left work early. This is most unfortunate as I was planning on attending the Esther Bible Study this evening. Orange juice, raw garlic, and sleep seem to be in my immediate future though.


Fire graphic from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment