Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Post-It notes from God

I have laid up thy word in my heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psa 119:11

I don't actually use a lot of Post-It notes.  I prefer a single task list for things that I need to do.  But sometimes, I place them strategically on my computer at work to remind me of things I need to do.  They don't take up a lot of space and I rarely look at them, but they are just enough to do the job.

The other day, I was telling a friend why I was trying to not complain about certain things so much.  Complaining / whining is such an easy sin for so many reasons.  Everybody does it, it gives us something to talk about, there are no obvious or immediate natural consequences to it, we typically can receive sympathy from the person we're speaking to, and in some cases we seem to feel better after we share our woes.  Telling someone something that is a problem isn't particularly bad by itself, but we so infrequently stop there.  Furthermore, the decision to whine comes about in an instant.  There's not enough time to do a full analysis of the wisdom of saying whatever it is we're saying.  Sometimes, the only reason I can catch myself and not do it is because I know God doesn't want me to.

I would not have known this without reading the Bible.  If you've not given it much thought (and I had not), you might assume God doesn't have an opinion on the matter.  This is true for so many things, like swearing.  Unless we go and look in the Bible or listen to church leaders or read church history, we might not know God has an opinion on a particular topic.  I was amazed to discover the Bible even has an opinion on rising early (good thing to do, both to accomplish more work and to pray).  The more I read, the more I learn, and the more that sticks out.

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world... Philippians 2:14-15.  Do all things without grumbling.  Well, that's a pretty specific opinion on it, isn't it?

I relayed this to my friend and shared I think of this verse when I want to whine.  It just pops up in my head.  She texted back "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."  We chatted about how God's Word is in us when we read it, and can remind us of what to do and what not to do.  It is like a Post It note in our head from God in these instances.

They can be so irritating on some days when we really want to do wrong.  I was wanting to brag about something minor the other day.  I had all sorts of reasons for it and tried to argue against the Post It notes in my mind, but Post It notes from God are always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment