Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wait for the Lord!

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary, his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isa 40:28-31


I'm doing an Esther study at a friend's church, and I love it. We're doing the one from Beth Moore, and I'd recommend it to anyone. This particular passage was from a few weeks ago, and since I'm only on my second trip through the majority of the Old Testament, I didn't remember it. She made the very valid point that when we wait on things or events, we exhaust ourselves. To wait for the Lord is an entirely different thing. Sounds all good and logical and stuff, but how does one do that? Sounds too hard. Must not be all that important...

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me, for thou art the God of my salvation; for thee I wait all the day long. Psa 25:5
May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for thee. Psa 25:21

Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yea, wait for the LORD! Psa 27:14 I memorized this Psalm last year. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

For the wicked shall be cut off; but those who wait for the LORD shall possess the land. Psa 37:9

Wait for the LORD, and keep to his way, and he will exalt you to possess the land; you will look on the destruction of the wicked. Psa 37: 34

Do not say, "I will repay evil"; wait for the LORD, and he will help you. Prov 20:22

Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you, and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame. Isa 49:23

The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him. Lam 3:25


Those were just a few of the ones that had the same term! I've been amazed at how often I do not do just this. I'm waiting for a thing, or a person, or an event. I get stressed out, I worry, I exhaust myself thinking about this thing or person that hasn't even showed up yet. And what I need to do is wait for God, and just wait for God. I can't control time or 99.5% of the events in my life, but He can and certainly does!

The Esther study has been great for me in so many ways. I've learned more about Providence, and waiting, and reading my Bible, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment