Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Getting up Early

I do not like getting up early.  It isn't so much I mind being awake as much as I mind getting out of my nice soft, warm, comfortable bed.  This is perhaps more entertaining to consider since at one point my plan was to be in the military, and they seem to like early mornings.  Currently my job allows me to wake up as early as 0330 on some mornings so I can visit our AM operations.  In all cases, be it at 0330 or 0700, I'm not a fan.  And I'm usually not very functional for quite some time.

Reading Wisdom again, I noticed (again), that this seems to conflict with some guidance I find all over in the Bible - I need to wake up and pray!

Wis 16:27-29  For what was not destroyed by fire was melted when simply warmed by a fleeting ray of the sun, to make it known that one must rise before the sun to give thee thanks, and must pray to thee at the dawning of the light; for the hope of an ungrateful man will melt like wintry frost, and flow away like waste water.

That's hardly the end of the Biblical support for the idea.

Psa 59:16  But I will sing of thy might; I will sing aloud of thy steadfast love in the morning. For thou hast been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.  

Psa 88:13  But I, O LORD, cry to thee; in the morning my prayer comes before thee.

Wis 6:12-14  Wisdom is radiant and unfading, and she is easily discerned by those who love her, and is found by those who seek her. She hastens to make herself known to those who desire her. He who rises early to seek her will have no difficulty, for he will find her sitting at his gates.

Sir 32:14  He who fears the Lord will accept his discipline, and those who rise early to seek him will find favor.

Sir 39:5  He will set his heart to rise early to seek the Lord who made him, and will make supplication before the Most High; he will open his mouth in prayer and make supplication for his sins. 

Psa 5:3  O LORD, in the morning thou dost hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for thee, and watch.  

Psa 55:17  Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and he will hear my voice. 

Even Jesus got up early to pray!
Mar 1:35  And in the morning, a great while before day, he rose and went out to a lonely place, and there he prayed.


Sounds like I should be spending some more time in prayer each morning!  All that being said, we should not deny ourselves sleep as it too is a gift from God:
Psa 127:2  It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment