A friend asked me once if I was embarrassed to pray in public. I am not sure of any logical (non-emotional) reason to be so. We are going to Heaven because of God, why would we be afraid to give Him thanks in public? Our job as Christians is to be Christians, and not hide our beliefs. There is no such thing as a "private faith," regardless of what the media would have us believe. If you believe something, it will affect your actions.
Psa 107:1-3 O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures for ever! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.
"The zealous man desires and seeks, by all the ways available to him, that God would always be more widely known and served in this life and in the next, because this holy love is boundless. He does the same for those close to him, and desires that all would be content in this life, and happy and blessed in the world to come; so that all may be saved, and no one lost for all eternity" (St Anthony Mary Claret, El egoismo vencido, 60).
Mat 5:14-15 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid. Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
The commentary from Albert Barnes says of this passage:
We learn here:Isa 58:6-8 Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you, the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
1. that religion, if it exists, cannot be concealed.
2. that where it is not manifest in the life, it does not exist.
3. that “professors” of religion, who live like other people, give evidence that they have never been truly converted.
4. that to attempt to conceal or hide our Christian knowledge or experience is to betray our trust, injure the cause of piety, and to render our lives useless. And,
5. that good actions will be seen, and will lead people to honor God. If we have no other way of doing good - if we are poor, and unlearned, and unknown yet we may do good by our lives. No sincere and humble Christian lives in vain. The feeblest light at midnight is of use.
Eph 5:6-11 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not associate with them, for once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
What's your job today?