Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Psalms and Pride

Psa 19:13-14  Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

The idea of praying to God to ask Him to help keep me from sins that I stumble upon less intentionally than others is appealing.  The word "presumptuous" is rendered in all the other KJV cases in the Old Testament as "proud."  This makes sense, but I'd never really thought about it for this verse.  Of course we'd not be able to see our sins of pride as clearly! 

I'm really good at some things.  It isn't a sin for me to know that I'm good at them.  It is a sin for me to think I'm to blame for my skills and not God. Pride will lead one to believe they do not need God, or His advice or Word.  Pride will lead one to depend upon themselves and the things they can get for themselves, like wealth.

We do indeed need God's help to not fall under the dominion of pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment