Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wisdom 13

Wisdom 13 reminds me of Romans.  A lot of things must remind me of the Book of Romans!
  1. For all men who were ignorant of God were foolish by nature; and they were unable from the good things that are seen to know him who exists, nor did they recognize the craftsman while paying heed to his works;
  2. but they supposed that either fire or wind or swift air, or the circle of the stars, or turbulent water, or the luminaries of heaven were the gods that rule the world. 
  3. If through delight in the beauty of these things men assumed them to be gods, let them know how much better than these is their Lord, for the author of beauty created them. 
  4. And if men were amazed at their power and working, let them perceive from them how much more powerful is he who formed them. 
  5. For from the greatness and beauty of created things comes a corresponding perception of their Creator.
It goes on to talk about how those who worship man made idols are worse off, as at least those who worship the air or stars are worshiping something created by God.  People who make idols are well aware they are made by men and have no power or authority.

We don't have many pagan idols hanging around anymore for us to look at and I've heard most think the rule to not worship idols is no longer relevant.  Yet we sit in front of a TV for hours, or change our lives to model the actor or actress we see on it.  We may chase money and alter our lives to make more of it.  If we aren't spending time worshiping God, who/what are we worshiping ?


As an aside, some also question my church's use of imagery in prayer.  Catholics should not be worshiping these items, or even the people they represent if they are not representing Jesus.  I guess some do but that's not what they are there for and those people are probably confused.  I have a crucifix on the wall in front of me.  If it were to fall down it might startle me, but otherwise would have no impact on my life as the metal is not a God.  It is just there, next to my TV, to be a visual reminder of what Christ did for me.  It is like having a picture of my friends up to remind me of them.  The same is true for the saints, we want to remember how they lived.  We don't worship them, though we do think they are praying for us from Heaven and will ask them to pray for specific things, just like I might ask a friend to pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment