Thursday, May 27, 2010

I AM A HAPPY PERSON!

Say the title of this entry as loudly and as angrily as you can, possibly to someone who doesn't know it is coming.  It is quite comical.

First of all, when I was writing this post I was wondering if I'd already talked about this verse.  I was wondering how I'd look for it, when I realized I had a search bar over there to the right!  You should check it out sometime.

Psa 4:4  Be angry, but sin not; commune with your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.

This is said again in the New Testament by St Paul:

Eph 4:26-27  Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.


Be angry, but don't sin.  Some anger, then, is not sinful.  Anger can be productive, if put to good use.  It should always be something God would be angry about though, and I rarely find the things that God would be angry about making me angry.  Usually, I pick things that God probably would not care about, and then I stay angry and become my own little anger factory.  That's sinful!

Psa 37:8  Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. 

Anger is closely tied to anxiety, or as my sister said, from fear.  We know we're not to fear.  I have read that the command to not be afraid is the most common command in the Bible.   More common than any other!  So anger and anxiety are linked, and we're not to be afraid.

Two of the above verses show the consequence for anger and anxiety - we tend to evil and give opportunity to the devil.  Good reason indeed to stay away! 

Unfortunately, our little anger factories can get going so quickly and so efficiently and stay going even when we're not paying attention that it becomes difficult to stop them.  We have fear factories, too, I think.  We can make ourselves miserable being afraid and angry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment