Monday, June 28, 2010

Take Sanctity by Force

I attended the Latin Mass yesterday, as I do enjoy doing if I am available.  It is so much more reverent and quiet and easier for me to think.  I'm so easily distracted!  I get hung up on who is doing what and how they are doing it and what they're supposed to be doing.  In the Latin Mass, there's not much to watch aside from the priest and very little of what he's doing is visible.  Pushes my attention elsewhere, to Jesus.  I like it.  And the music is beautiful!  No wondering if there are any theological issues there.

Anyway, the priest had a wonderful homily about the three theological virtues (faith, hope, love).  One of the things he said that struck me is that we have to take sanctity by force.  We have to actively cooperate with God's grace and will and not just sit back and wait to become better people.  We have to work on our relationship with God through prayer (yes, this was the same priest that wanted me to pray more last week).

I've been rather stuck on that phrase all day, and been thinking about what more I could do to better cooperate.  I've been doing a much better job on the prayers, though I could work on my praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment