Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Peace

I’ve been thinking about a post on peace for over a week.  The problem is it is a very difficult subject to clearly identify and explain.  I’m not sure I quite get it.

The other day, I was praying before work and for some reason asked God to make me productive.  I immediately thought to myself, “Well, maybe not today.  Not too productive anyway.  I’m kind of tired.”  I started having a definite post it note moment, thinking about all the reasons why God wants me to be productive and why I should want to be productive for God.  “Don’t you think that’s asking too much?” I wondered.

That’s a dumb thing to wonder, when you think about it.  It is the type of thinking that the world tells us to use, which is the wrong kind of wisdom.  It is the wisdom that tells me I can whine when my boss makes me do my job and that a teen can complain when their parent acts like a parent and that a wife can complain when her husband (who bought the house) makes the house dirty.  What God asks for is perfect.  It may be hard to attain, but it isn’t too much to ask, because we owe God all.  And God’s wisdom would be that we’re productive for those we work for.

Pro 13:4  The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.

Pro 15:19  The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.


This is just one of the reasons we don’t have peace, I think.  We push back against God’s will and God’s wisdom, and if we’d follow those we’d have more peace in our lives.  We’d not stumble over things we can’t see on the wrong path, because we’d be on the right path where it is well lit.  Does this mean we won’t suffer or face trials?  No, just that we’d have peace over them.

A friend and I were talking about her daughter, and how happy she was to get a belt in karate.  She’s a very cute child and happy as can be about whatever.  Children are happy and have peace because they don’t worry too much about the past or the future.  God’s will is that we do the same, and yet we spend time dwelling on things that have happened and worrying about things that might happen.  What a waste of energy!

Mat 6:25  Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Mat 6:34  Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment