Sunday, August 1, 2010

Think of what is above, not of what is on earth

Today is the 18 Sunday of Ordinary Time, and the readings can be found here

If only I could do a better job remembering the second reading:
Brothers and sisters:
If you were raised with Christ, seek what is above,
where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
Think of what is above, not of what is on earth.
For you have died,
and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ your life appears,
then you too will appear with him in glory.

(Col 3:1-5)

I can think ahead to save for a new car or new house, plan for my upcoming vacation, and even (barely) for retirement.  Eternity just seems so far away.  So even though it will take up a larger portion of time in my life than say, tomorrow, tomorrow is a lot easier to think about and so I do.  Very focused on the immediate, and everything in life is immediate compared to eternity.  And little of it is important, comparitavely.  What a conundrum.

This is especially true for me as a single woman, as I have no husband or children to focus my energy on.
1Co 7:32-34  I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband.

I've noticed especially this summer how easy it is for my perspective to shift.  For months, the end of the time line in my head was July 18, the last day of the camp I was running.  There was stuff before camp and stuff after camp, but that was the dividing line, and nothing after it was very important.  A common answer to all non-work related questions was "Ask me after camp."  If something came up that was really important that was going to occur after it, I felt my stress levels go through the roof.  I was focused short term and did not want to get out of that bubble.  Eternity is most definitely outside that bubble, at least for me.  It is so big and so unknown and so far away (even though it is now).

No comments:

Post a Comment