Friday, December 31, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday

It is another Friday!  And also New Year's Eve.  This Quick Takes is hosted by Jennifer at Conversion Diary.  If you are starting here, click on that link to go there and read her Quick Takes and check out some of the other blogs that post there.  If you started there, welcome to my blog!  Please look around and make yourself comfortable.

1.  It was unseasonably warm yesterday and will be again today, with the highs in the low 60's.  The average high is 42.  This time last year, it only got up to the mid 30's.  This has created a problem for my wardrobe, as I wake up in the morning cold but come home without a jacket.  Many are the trials of my life!  ;-)

2.  Last weekend was Christmas, in case you missed it.  I had a wonderful time at my sister's house eating, reading, sleeping, and chatting with family.  I'm not sure what other four activities I would put in a weekend if I got to plan a perfect weekend, save for chatting with friends.

3.  I read The Giver, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also read The Glass Castle: A Memoir, which I did not enjoy quite as much.  Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations, which is a book aimed at teens, was very good.  It has only been recently in human history we had a subset of humans called teens - before that you were a child or an adult.  Finally, I read Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality, which had some very interesting thoughts.  Unfortunately, it also had some off the wall stuff I just could not figure out.  The author does not like the war metaphor in our faith life, even though it was given to us by God and it is what it is.  I'm a soldier in the army now - give me my sword!

4.  I love this entry at Pursuing Titus 2, which was pointed out in Conversion Diary's 12 Best Links of 2010.  It is all about God and horrible situations, and why we shouldn't worry about stuff ahead of time.  Or to quote the best links post, "God gives grace for the situation, not the imagination."

5.  Another goal for 2011 is to give up soda.  I will have my last Mountain Dew today.  To quote someone off Facebook, I could write poetry about the love I have for soda.  This will be an interesting challenge.  I'm first going to just abandon the soda with caffeine like Coke and Mountain Dew, but allow myself some Sierra Mist.  Then it is bye bye to the empty calories!

6.  Tomorrow, I will start my participation in this other little challenge, a scripture memorization plan for 2011.  Two verses per month for a total of 24.  Not very daunting, but as I've never really memorized scripture before, it will be very rewarding.

7.  "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."  That's the 10th Amendment.  I was not surprised one of my nieces did not know it, or understand even the concept of it.  It was never really explained to me in high school.  That particular amendment is why so many folks get testy about a larger federal government.  It also explains why nobody ever really focused on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment