Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Proverbs 15

Pro 15:13  A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
Pro 15:14  The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
Pro 15:15  All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
Pro 15:16  Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
Pro 15:17  Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
Pro 15:18  A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.


Fools allow themselves to be appeased with whatever is in front of them, even if it is unproductive or evil.  How often do we sit in front of the TV or computer watching mindless entertainment when there is work to be done?  Rest is good, but not to exclusion of accomplishing our tasks and serving God.

With a happy heart set on God, even suffering can bring moments of joy.  I read somewhere once a quote by a bishop who had been imprisoned in solitary confinement.  He noted there is no way they can deny you prayer.  God is always available and there isn't anyway to contain Him.  This man was able to find joy in an joyless and helpless situation.

16 and 17 obviously go together, and is something I have to remind myself when anxious over what to feed guests.  My guests are more important than the food!  If all I could afford for them was ramen noodles, my friends would still come and still love me.  I just recently accused one of them of only liking me for my fudge, and they pointed out I didn't know how to make that when they became friends with me.

And finally, we're back to anger.  They do such a good job in the movies portraying the one that gets thing done as the one who can yell the loudest and put the others in their place.  That may work in the short term, but it breeds contention.  The one that is slow to anger and can remain calm reduces contention among others.  Oh, that I could remember this one more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment