Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Psalm 7

People talk about praying the Psalms, which I understand in most cases.  But then I get to verses like this one:

Psa 7:8  The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me. 

I'd really think it'd be better if God didn't judge me according to my righteousness, because I don't even have half a speck of it hidden in my sock drawer.  It is kind of like the Our Father, when we ask that He forgives us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.  I pray he does a lot better job than me, or there's no forgiveness coming my way as I'm horrible at that part too.

These seem to fit me a lot more:


Psa 25:7  Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD. 



Psa 25:11  For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.

This isn't said to mean I'm down on myself, but an honest appraisal of where we really stand next to God's holiness isn't a pretty picture for us.  But it is the source of the Good News!  That's why we need Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment