Monday, April 11, 2011

more thinking

Following my recent post on thinking, I got to, uh, thinking that perhaps some might think I am anti science or anti evidence or against any modern thought.  As an engineer, I of course love science and math.  My friends joke there is a flowchart in my head that I use to make decisions.

Science is a wonderful thing, really.  My dog isn't going to get rabies, people with cancer can receive treatments that may save their lives, I have this strange contraption in front of me on which to type at you, and of course we put people into space.  If you add in Baked Lays (sour cream and onion of course), envelopes that seal when you lick them, and the camera that projects an image of what is behind my SUV when I'm in reverse, we can see that science and physics and math are truly wonderful things.

However, science cannot claim to be infallible.  My dog is not immune to everything.  People still die from cancer.  Computers crash.  Space shuttles do too, unfortunately.  Baked Lays are almost perfect, but crumble in the bag.  Envelopes will unstick in the right conditions.  Eventually, that camera on my SUV will fail.  Further, it can't make me pay attention to it.  We know these things and accept them.  It doesn't make science or the technology behind them evil.  It just makes them fallible. 

Compare this to the God who created the universe and you will see why, given a choice between God's wisdom and modern science or technology, I will pick God.  If the two do not match, then one can reasonably assume the fallible is wrong and the infallible is correct.  All my modern schooling has taught me that much.

God gave us reason.  He gave us a universe to explore.  He gave us minds to use, and we should use them.  But we must always remember that science isn't always right.  Why do we trust scientists then exclusively?  How often have people been wrong?  Just think, every year for the past few thousand years, someone has been incredibly confident they proved something.  And then they are wrong.  Why would we pick people over the wisdom of God?  That's disordered reason.  That's not from God.  It doesn't even make sense according to worldly standards.

I read an article on CNN telling me that Christians were partly to blame for the Civil War.  We have this annoying habit of finding things to be either right or wrong, and we're unwilling to compromise when it comes to certain absolutes.  This creates conflict, thereby leading to things such as war.  Let's follow this logic back for a moment to see the problem.  This argument assumes there are no absolute rights or wrongs.  It is moral relativism, a nice modern philosophy.  It makes people happy, so it must be okay, right?  Here is an example of humans making a bad call, spreading it, and people listening to it.  That wasn't even taught when I was in school.  Have the causes of the Civil War changed since then?  I think not.

We must use our brains in conformance to God's will.  This isn't popular and it isn't easy, but really, it is the only thing that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment