Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yay books!

I’m reading So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore. Yes, I said I was going to read that earlier. But I ended up reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Hunger Games is about a future society broken up into several districts around the capital, which is in the Rockies. The districts had rebelled decades before, and the capital won. To ensure dependence on the capital, authoritarian rule became the norm and the capital did all sorts of things to remind everyone they were in charge. Each year, the districts send one male and one female teenager to compete in the Hunger Games against the tributes of the other districts in a death match. Last teen standing wins.

It was a really compelling read and I stayed up late to finish it the night of the Joplin tornadoes. I wasn’t sleeping anyway. It is apparently a young adult book, but I found some of the themes to be quite adult in nature. It did give me some interesting dreams.

I love So Long Insecurity so far. She does a wonderful job with the subject of female insecurity in the light of Christianity. We’re not talking about the really unhealthy women – this insecurity is found in all women I know, even the ones that are really well adjusted and happy. She makes a lot of wonderful points! I thoroughly recommend this book to any woman.  I made so many highlights it is hard to pick my favorites!  I went with these three.


Pride lives on the defensive against anyone and anything that tries to subtract from its self-sustained worth. Confidence, on the other hand, is driven by the certainty of God-given identity and the conviction that nothing can take that identity away.

This one is when we try to play God and think we need to know everything about everyone and everything:


Because God is complete perfection and immutable holiness, He can handle omniscience. He can know all things—good and evil—without responding with sin, weakness, horror, or despair. We, on the other hand, don’t have that luxury.

This next one is after a friend says or does something you're not sure if you should take offensively or not:

But that’s one of those times when we get to exercise the power of choice. Will I think the best of her or the worst? Will I focus on this exact moment of offense, or will I remember a faithful, long-term friendship? The camaraderie my closest female companions bring to my life is well worth having to occasionally whisper to myself, “What you’re feeling right this minute is stupid. Stop it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment