Monday, June 13, 2011

Fear in Decision Making Part 2

Of all the times fear is mentioned in the Bible, it is not commanded we fear in the way we so frequently do. God tells us to fear Him multiple times. God tells His servants to not fear various other people or situations, as He will take care of them and in many cases, fight for them. This isn't fighting for them like our earthly parents might have "fought" for us if we deserved something. No, this was the God who made the Universe going out to fight.

God puts the fear of man into animals and the fear of His people upon other, wicked nations. There are several commands to "fear not," in various circumstances. There are specific commands to not fear other gods.

The Psalms have much to say. From Psalm 23: Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. From Psalm 27: The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? and Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

From Psalm 46: Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; and from Psalm 56: In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me. From Psalm 64: Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy and 118: The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

Jesus also speaks of fear, and here's my favorite one to remember:
Luk 12:4-5 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

On anxiety:
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
(Mat 6:31-34)

We are not to fear anything in this life as we are to fear God and serve God. God alone is our deliverer from all troubles. We are told not to be anxious, not to fear, etc. Our focus is on the eternal, and the eternal has a much greater impact on the troubles of today.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that these commands would somehow not apply to our decisions. Our decisions are not to be made based on fear, but only on what God wants. God is not fear.


And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
(1Jn 4:16-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment