Friday, September 30, 2011

Universalis

I have this great app on my phone that provides information about the day in the Church calendar, the readings for the day, and then the six prayers and office of readings known as the Liturgy of the Hours (also known as the Divine Office).

I love reading from this as it is far more convenient than the book I have for it.  I can read it in bed before I go to sleep and at the kitchen table over breakfast.  If I have time at lunch or elsewhere during the day, I can open it up and catch the readings for the day or the prayer for that hour.

The prayers consist primarily of Psalms with some other readings, as well as a few prayers.  The version on my phone also has a hymn.  I think those were also in the book but I’d get lost looking for them.  The app is a lot simpler.  I would say each takes no more than 5-10 minutes to read.

It is nice because we’re praying the same thing and meditating on the same ideas that all others reading are that day as well.  One definitely gets a sense of communion.



You can find it online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment