Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Return from Break

You might have noticed a little break in blog entries there.  Don’t worry, I haven’t given up on blogging!  I was just on a multi week journey around the state and the country.  First there was a staff meeting at work, then my dad’s 70th birthday celebration, then Disney World with my sister, and finally a conference with the organization I volunteer with.  October has been a very busy month!

Though I haven’t been blogging, I have been thinking about blogging and God and what to do next.  I’ve started reading the Bible in a year plan.  It is obviously less aggressive than the 90 day plan, but hopefully I’ll be able to spend more time each day on a smaller section.  Instead of 12-15 pages at a time, it is about 2.5 to 3 chapters at a time so far.

One thing I noticed today while reading Genesis 3 was that Adam and Eve noticed they were naked and then they were freaked out by that and made clothes.  I wondered why that was.  The ashamed part, not the naked part.  Not that I enjoy being naked in front of people, but it seems odd that the very first thing they noticed about their new situation is that they were naked with their spouse.  I know some married people, and I’ve not heard any of them say they had to run and find some fig leaves after they noticed they were naked.  I mean, what makes someone who has never seen or heard of clothes be ashamed they don’t have any?

Clearly there are some meanings here that go beyond the literal.  They were ashamed about what they’d done and now they knew what they did.  All the commentaries my free Bible software has talks about this.  But let’s go back to the literal, and I’m still confused.  They’re naked and they make coverings.

So I’m still somewhat confused.  If anyone has any ideas, please do share.  Why would people who had never had clothes suddenly make them and put them on?

No comments:

Post a Comment