Thursday, November 17, 2011

Links!

Wow, it is cold!  We just got a cold snap, and today I wore gloves to work.  I'm not a huge fan of the cold because, well, I get cold.  I think I get cold more easily than most of the people I know.

I'm sitting in front of a space heater (even though my house is already at 70 degrees), blogging.  Here are some links I've been collecting to share with you:

How to Win the Culture War.  I love this.  LOVE THIS.  Peter Kreeft is amazing.


Deliver Us From Evil Kind of Thing.  This is from Simcha Fisher, who is hilarious so even if you disagree with her it is funny.  It is about the importance of the liturgy changing in December.

Spectacular Shots Above and Below the Sea.  Just some great pictures of water.  I don't even like large bodies of water, and this is cool.

When My Needs are Worship.  A friend sent me to this blog, and I found this entry.  I'd never thought about it like this before!


Reason Can Convince You of Stuff that is Stupid and Wrong.  Jennifer Fulwiler of Conversion Diary is also funny and so true here. 
And so when we sat down to talk, I brought my intellectual A-game. I did not appeal to emotion once. I did not make a single statement that was not backed up by concrete evidence. When my husband offered counterpoints to make the case that life was actually pretty great, I always had a solid, fact-based comeback. I calmly crafted a careful step-by-step analysis of the terribleness of my life, including perfectly logical extrapolations about how said terribleness would only increase in the future. It was reasonable. It was evidence-based. It was linear. And it was completely wrong.

What the Devil Fears.  I just linked to this because of a quote from Bl. Ildephonso Schuster, OSB, the Archbishop of Milan who died in 1954.  In his final message to his seminarians, he said,   "Do not forget that the devil is not afraid of our [parish] sports fields and of our movie halls: he is afraid, on the other hand, of our holiness."

In Praise of Imperfect Reverence.  I may have linked to this before, but it is great.  Jennifer Fulwiler also writes at the National Catholic Register.

Ambitious Goals Make You Happier.  Being a slacker does not make us happier.  I realize this to be true, yet sometimes when I'm napping on the sofa I can convince myself the data is wrong.




No comments:

Post a Comment