Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

I am thankful for the Creator, for this world we live on and for the food we eat and the fact we exist.  I’m thankful God sent His son to die on the cross for us and for our sins so we can enter into Heaven.  I’m also thankful for Heaven, because that’ll be even better than here.  I’m thankful God is still with us via the Holy Spirit and we can communicate with God though prayer.

I am thankful for the Catholic Church, provided by God for us and our benefit to help guide us along our path here on this world.  I love my German shepherd, Pope Benedict.  I’m thankful for my bishop and priests, and not just in a general way.  I really do like them and am happy to see them at church.  I’m thankful they pray for me and for everyone else.

I’m thankful for my parents, who didn’t have to have me.  I don’t think it crossed their mind not to though, and so I’m thankful they did and they put up with me for so many years.  I’m thankful they raised me so well, and find different lessons I’m more and more thankful for every year.  I’m thankful they taught me to do the right thing without ever even considering, much less counting the cost.  I’m thankful they taught me to have integrity and respect others who have it as well.  I’m thankful they talked to me about God, because even though I wandered away for a bit, I always knew I could come back to my Heavenly Father.

My siblings were not expecting a little sister, and I was pretty annoying, and so I’m thankful they did not accidentally leave me on some road trip.  I’m thankful for their friendship, and thankful they married wonderful people who I rarely call my “in laws” because they’re just like my brother and sisters.  I’m thankful for their children, who are turning into intelligent adults who are fun to be around.  And I’ll be thankful for the lessons they teach their children, even if their children are not yet old enough to do the same quite yet.

I’m thankful for the rest of my family, from my aunt and uncle who are always calling in to check on me to my grandparents, only one of whom I really knew.  I’m thankful for my cousins, who I liked before I knew what the word cousin meant.  I’m thankful for the “aunts” and “uncles” who were never related to me officially but still had the authority to correct me and desire and ability to mentor me.

I’m thankful for my friends, who have absolutely no obligation to put up with me when I’m crazy but still do anyway.  They help me in all my activities and correct me when I stray from the right path.  They are wonderful examples and great people, and I’m thankful they are around.



I’m thankful for this country.  While I think we’ve hit a rough spot of late, this blog wouldn’t be possible without the freedom we enjoy.  The simple idea of freedom is something to be thankful for and the fact we have it is incredible.  I’m thankful for the people who have made that possible, from the patriots at the beginning of the country to the service men and women of today.  We all know the quote “Give me liberty or give me death,” but most of us are fortunate enough to not actually know what the lack of liberty really feels like.

I am thankful for my job, my house, and my dog.  Though I know I could survive without them because I have everything I need with the people mentioned above.

What are you thankful for today? 


No comments:

Post a Comment