Tuesday, November 22, 2011

That's just speedy

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
(Pro 3:5-8)
In other news, scientists think they may have broken the speed of light.  Again, since they thought they did it before.  That's important because science is all about consistency.  If true, they also managed to break Einstein's theory of relativity.  Or at least part of it.  I'm not sure, because that's such high end physics I don't understand it.  But to be clear, this is a BIG DEAL. Things aren't supposed to be able to travel faster than the speed of light.  That isn't supposed to be possible.  And yet now we think it might be.

Let me preface the following thoughts with the statement that I like science.  I am an engineer, after all.  Things that work in predictable manners and logic and reason and all those good things make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  While some women want a shampoo that makes their hair shiny, I want to know what is in the shampoo that makes hair shiny.  I make decisions based on logic, and have previously earned the nickname, "M, the evil queen of numbers."  I am a geek.

That said, I do truly believe we place too much trust in our scientists to tell us how the world works.  The scientists say it, so it must be true.  This is an oddly illogical decision to make by itself anyway, as scientists have been wrong and continue to be wrong every day.  We treat and teach what we know of science as the final authority when, right at this very moment, scientists are wondering if they got this majorly important thing with huge implications wrong.

Again, I love science.  I just do posts like this to remind people that science is not the end all of explaining the world or our role in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment