Friday, December 2, 2011

Evening Prayers

I've mentioned I use the Universalis app on my iPhone for the Liturgy of the Hours.  I don't do all the prayers, and actually may only do one during the day if I have time.  But I do enjoy the night time prayers.  My favorite part is the following prayer:
Protect us, Lord, as we stay awake; watch over us as we sleep; that awake, we may keep watch with Christ, and asleep, rest in his peace.
I don't know why, but I really like reading that right before I go to bed.  It is pretty near the end of the Psalms and prayers for the evening, and it seems like would be a lot better short prayer to say than say, "Now I lay me down to sleep."  (though that one does have a truly valid intent).

In researching this prayer, I also found some other lovely evening prayers.  This one is from St Augustine:
Watch, O Lord, those who wake or watch or weep tonight, and give your angels and saints charge over those who sleep. Tend your sick ones, O Lord Christ. Rest your weary ones, bless your dying ones, soothe your suffering ones, shield your joyous ones, and all for your love's sake. Amen. 
There are more complicated prayers out there but I do like a nice short one too.  Nothing too fancy or theologically complex.

Many people find they pray better in the morning than any other part of the day, but I am not one of them.  I much prefer the evening, as I feel I have more to talk to God about.  I'm also more awake!  In the morning, my prayers usually revolve around sleeping and how much I like it.  It is good to say good morning to God and give Him my day, but I just don't have much to offer in the way of deep thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment