Monday, December 26, 2011

More from my Kindle

I hope today finds you warm and well rested from the excitements of yesterday.  I also hope at some point you stopped to ponder the greatest gift of all eternity - Christ.  If not, skip this post and go read the nativity story in Luke.  The blog will wait.

If you're interested in writing fiction, I recommend Writing Fiction For Dummies .  Not that I've ever been published at writing fiction, so it isn't like I have an expert opinion.  But I liked the book.  I also liked this quote.
Writer's block is what happens when a writer tries to write in both creative mode and editing mode at the same time. Don't do that! It's like driving with your foot on the gas and the brakes at the same time. Creating a little and then editing a little is okay — just don't edit it before you've actually written the words! As the old saying goes, get it written; then get it right.


A nice motivating feel good book is Applause of Heaven.  I really liked this one.
If all of that is true, if I know that one of the privileges  of fatherhood is to comfort a child, then why am I so reluctant   to let my heavenly Father comfort me?
Why do I think he wouldn't want to hear about my problems?   ("They are puny compared to people starving in  India.")
Why do I think he is too busy for me? ("He's got a whole  universe to worry about.")
Why do I think he's tired of hearing the same old stuff?
Why do I think he groans when he sees me coming?
Why do I think he consults his list when I ask for forgiveness   and asks, "Don't you think you're going to the well  a few too many times on this one?"


I read the Papal Encyclical God is Love while on vacation in October.  Probably not what you'd consider vacation reading, but I found it absolutely fascinating.  I have several of the Pope's books, and the ones he rights for all are very good to read.  I have some of his harder textbook stuff as well, but it is over my head.
Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.
I like this next one, as it talks about why things don't seem like "rules" when one loves God.  Doing the right thing for someone you love isn't burdensome; it is just something you do because you love them.
Love of God and love of neighbor are thus inseparable, they form a single commandment. But both live from the love of God who has loved us first. No longer is it a question, then, of a “commandment” imposed from without and calling for the impossible, but rather of a freely-bestowed experience of love from within, a love which by its very nature must then be shared with others.
On our charity
With regard to the personnel who carry out the Church’s charitable activity on the practical level, the essential has already been said: they must not be inspired by ideologies aimed at improving the world, but should rather be guided by the faith which works through love (cf. Gal 5:6).
And my favorite, regarding Marxism.
Part of Marxist strategy is the theory of impoverishment: in a situation of unjust power, it is claimed, anyone who engages in charitable initiatives is actually serving that unjust system, making it appear at least to some extent tolerable. This in turn slows down a potential revolution and thus blocks the struggle for a better world. Seen in this way, charity is rejected and attacked as a means of preserving the status quo. What we have here, though, is really an inhuman philosophy. People of the present are sacrificed to the moloch of the future—a future whose effective realization is at best doubtful. One does not make the world more human by refusing to act humanely here and now.




Let's finish with The Lord of the Rings again!
Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary. Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.

I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment