Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Peace

Joh 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 

I may have already written about this but I keep hearing it pop up and I love it and want to share.  Jesus says He's going to give us peace, and I don't know what others think, but I usually see that being a nice quiet tidy life with no conflict. 

The general idea of peace we have is a lack of conflict.  That's the type of peace the world is trying to attain when they have meetings between warring nations or get together to decide what to do about nuclear weapons or even go to war with the ultimate aim of returning to a lack of conflict.  Anything at all to avoid conflict, which is thus defined as peace.  So we get to thinking that's what Jesus wants for us and what He's going to provide.

While it is true that warfare and suffering and conflict isn't the ideal state we're going for, in this verse Jesus explicitly states he's going to give a peace different than what the world gives.   If the world gives peace through lack of conflict, and Jesus says that isn't the type of peace He's going to give, His peace is not the absence of conflict.

Jesus brings peace in the midst of conflict.  He says to not let our hearts be troubled or afraid.  Even in the middle of this world's problems and sufferings and conflict, Jesus gives us peace.  That's kind of mind bogglingly awesome, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment