Friday, February 17, 2012

Evil for Evil

1Th 5:15  See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
This is well in line with other verses we’ve covered talking about not giving back evil.  This is contrary to our nature and contrary to what the world tells us to do, and so it is very hard indeed.  I do want to hurt those who hurt me, my friends, or my family.  But God calls me not to do that.  I do want to lash out in anger at those who are rude or dismissive of me.  But God calls me not to do that.  It isn’t that God is trying to spoil all my fun – God knows better than me.  That attitude that I want to have in response is not from God.

We’re called to follow that which is good.  This can be hard to, as sometimes I’d rather not spend time on things that are good.  Good things can be kind of boring.  But if we surround ourselves with good, then we’ll have far fewer opportunities to find evil. 

Notice also he says to all men – not just the people in our group or other Christians or people we just happen to like.  It is a lot easier to be nice to a friend than an enemy, but we’re called to be both.

No comments:

Post a Comment