Monday, January 14, 2013

Too Busy for Prayer

Sometimes I find that I am entirely too busy to pray or read my Bible.  There is a lot going on in my life, with a big project at work and various other tasks to stay on top of, such as ensuring I make it to the Y daily.  These goals are all very important to me, and I think if I reduce the amount of time I spend with the Lord it isn't a big deal.  I suppose I could do it in the middle of the day when I'm driving, but there is music to listen to.  I could do it at other times when I have a few moments of nothing to do, but I'd rather think ahead to the next task.  I could even do it while I was running at the Y, but they have the TV on.   Throw in an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and a Glory Be when I wake up and go to sleep (if I remember) and I should be good to go.  Right?
But so much the more went there a fame abroad of him: and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by him of their infirmities. And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.
(Luk 5:15-16)
Here we have Jesus busily curing people of diseases.  I would imagine there were a lot of them based on other stories, and who wouldn't go visit Him as he could heal their wounds.  That is a very important task.  I might think it was more important than prayer because it is actually doing something, and all those people are more likely to believe in Him. But I'm not Jesus.  Jesus, who already knows God because He is God, stops what he is doing to go pray.  The commentaries note that the original language indicates he did this frequently, leaving His mission of healing to go and converse with the Father.
Every Christian needs a half-hour of prayer each day, except when he is busy, then he needs an hour.
~ St Francis de Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment