Sunday, June 16, 2013

God has not called me to be successful; He has called me to be faithful.

“God has not called me to be successful; He has called me to be faithful.”  -Mother Teresa

I've posted about anxiety.  I've posted about pride.  I've posted about following God's plan, and God's wisdom being way better than our own.  I've posted about eternity, and how everything else in comparison is nothing.  So I know better, but I still do all those things wrong.

As noted elsewhere, I have some plans for 2014.  Those plans included an exam last weekend.  I failed.  I can re-test at the end of July.  I've spent a lot of time since then thinking about it, gathering resources to do a better job preparing, and growing anxious for bonus points.  I thought I'd pass the exam.  I thought I was ready.  I'm not sure how much more ready I can be by the end of July.  And so I am nervous.

We're told in the Bible to not be afraid.  Over and over we're told that - various sources count between 100 and 365 times.  How in the world do we shed our anxiety?  I can't do it for a simple test.  What do we do when faced with something more challenging?

I can't answer the question for more complex problems, but I think I can for mine.  Trust God.  Easier said than done, of course, but that's it.  There's the answer right there.  That doesn't mean I'll pass.  It just means God has it.  I'm not supposed to be anxious about it.  I'm not supposed to think it is all on me (pride).  I'm supposed to be confident in God's plan, whatever that may be, for indeed His wisdom is far better than mine.  This test is nothing in comparison to eternity.

That doesn't mean I don't need to prepare.  But in the end analysis, all that really matters is I try my hardest.  Sounds cliche, like something you tell your kids before they go play little league.  But it is true.  At no point does God connect my eternity with my ability to pass this test.  He's going to love me regardless of the outcome.

Psa 127:1   Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. 

Deu 31:6  Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them: for it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you.

Ecc 9:10 (A)  Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might

Col 3:23-24 Whatever your task, work heartily, as serving the Lord and not men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward; you are serving the Lord Christ.

I'm going to get some preparation in now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment