Friday, July 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Exercise!


I haven't done 7 Quick Takes in quite some time, but I love reading them and today seems like a good day to play!  Once I decided this, I realized it is still too early in the morning to think up anything cute to write about.  I'll just have to write about something I've been doing - exercise!  I've been getting in terrific shape here lately; way better shape at 33 than I was even at 23.  I do have to admit though at 23 the workouts left me less sore!  Here are some things I've learned or realized.

P90X seems scary and hard, but it really isn't all that bad.  The key is to modify exercises, do fewer than he recommends, and only do like half the workout if you start to struggle.  I also found it works better if I don't panic if I get off schedule.  I don't really like the Kenpo X, but everything else has been terrific and I've seen incredible results (even with ignoring their meal plan).

People who don't run at all probably don't even know there are "rules" for buying shoes based on how your foot rolls in or out or not at all when landing.  The common theory was that you could find your best type of shoe based on this information, and if you got the wrong type you'd be more prone to injury.  As it turns out, this may not be the case.

I do over-pronate and have even seen a podiatrist about a related injury to my posterior tibial tendon.  I like the shoes aimed for pronation that control motion, but that doesn't mean everyone should.  Find a shoe that is comfortable and works for you and then don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

Fun thing to try:  Tell people you injured your posterior tibial tendon.  Count the people who awkwardly assume it is your butt.

A lot of sites on the internet will tell you that you should run barefoot.  Many will tell you to exist all the time barefoot too, but that varies.  The theory is we actively weaken our feet and prevent them from doing their jobs by shoving them into shoes.  Over the course of our lives all the little muscles in our feet and ankles stop doing what they ought to do when we are barefoot because the shoe compensates for it all.  It makes total sense.

The solution is apparently to be barefoot.  I'm not really comfortable with running or walking or even existing barefoot for too long, so I guess I'll have to deal with my shoe-damaged feet the rest of my life.

Interesting fact: I've never liked being without shoes.  In any emergency, I would always strap on shoes just as soon as possible.  One never knows if one is going to have to flee!  They're like a security blanket with laces.

There is a ton of information about heat acclimatization on the web.  If you're going to be running or exercising in hot weather, take it slow and don't go from sitting on the couch to running for 60 minutes in super high heat or super high humidity.

It felt like 94 last night when I got home from work and I went for a 2 mile walk/jog.  I only ran about 0.6 miles in the middle of all the walking and it was interesting!  My lungs were very warm, and it was the first time in weeks I've had a side cramp.  It didn't seem all that bad though.  I'd been running in the morning when the humidity was higher and I'd come back soaked.  Last night I did sweat, but not to that extent.

Always be hydrated!

I always feel better if I eat less processed food and sugars, but this has been more evident while working out.  Perhaps I'm just imagining things, but I even feel better about the process of exercise if I'm not eating sugar.  I know there isn't supposed to be a difference between high fructose corn syrup, regular sugar, and the sugar one finds in apples and other foods but I am telling you there is.  I eat whatever fruits or normal foods I want with no problems, but adding in the other makes a huge difference.

My playlist has always included a lot of rock music to make me feel AWESOME at working out.  Lately I've been using Christian music to remind me how awesome GOD is, and that has been better.  I can get my prayer on while walking or running!

Not all of my music fits though.  This was on my playlist last night, and I must say everyone needs it.  I felt like a super-hero, and every step I took was another step toward saving the world.  My head was up, my shoulders were back, and my stride increased.  I should have had a cape.  If I'd run into a kitten in a tree, I would have been all over it.  Get the song, add it to your playlist, and be a hero!


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment