Thursday, July 25, 2013

Spreadsheet makes the plan!

Still doing the 7 posts in 7 days challenge at Conversion Diary.  Check out her entirely fun (and creepily accurate) post on alligators vs scorpions yesterday.

This week, I'm reading the Gospel of Luke as part of my challenge to read the Bible in 6 months.  I don't know if I mentioned this, but yes, I did indeed use a spreadsheet to create my very own plan for this project.  There's no limit to what spreadsheets can do!

I've tried other ones before, but wanted to make my own to see if it might work better.  The year-long plan is excellent but has you bounce between three places every day and I'd get somewhat confused.  The 90-day plan was excellent in its own way, but goes from start to finish and I easily get bogged down in the prophets.

First, I used the table of contents to identify how long each book was.  Then I calculated that as a percent to total.  Next was determining how many weeks and days.  I went with five days a week to give me some breathing room on weekends to "catch up."   I used the percent to total with the total number of days to determine approximately how many days per book.  The hard part was deciding how to break it all up, but I decided to ensure the historical books were in order throughout the six months as much as possible and I also spread the NT books throughout. In hindsight, I could have done a better job trying to spread things more evenly or match up prophets with the right historical books.  But this is a workable plan.

I've been spending some time before reading familiarizing myself or reminding myself of the book in general.  This would include the author, the date, and the historical context.  This is particularly useful when reading the prophets as it is easy to confuse who exactly they're trying to get to listen.  If I have a study resource handy, like the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible , I use that too.

Below, you can see my progress in green.  I'll have to apologize if I didn't use the right shortening of any book.  I really had no idea and that seemed far less important than the plan realized in a spreadsheet!


2-Jun
Gen
Gen
Gen
Gen
Gen
9-Jun
Exo
Exo
Exo
Exo
Exo
16-Jun
Hab / Zep
Mat
Mat
Mat
Mat
23-Jun
Lev
Lev
Lev
Judith
Judith
30-Jun
Num
Num
Num
Num
Num
7-Jul
Sir
Sir
Sir
Sir
Sir
14-Jul
Sir
Deu
Deu
Deu
Deu
21-Jul
Luk
Luk
Luk
Luk
Phil / Col / Phm
28-Jul
Joshua
Joshua
Joshua
Joel / Mal
Ruth / Nah
4-Aug
Judges
Judges
Judges
Bar
Lam / Hag
11-Aug
Is
Is
Is
Is
Is
18-Aug
Is
Is
1 Sam
1 Sam
1 Sam
25-Aug
Rom
Rom
1 Cor
2 Cor
Gal / Eph
1-Sep
2 Sam
2 Sam
2 Sam
Zec
Ecc
8-Sep
Psalm
Psalm
Psalm
Psalm
Psalm
15-Sep
Psalm
Psalm
Psalm
Psalm
Psalm
22-Sep
Acts
Acts
Acts
Acts
Jam / Titus / Jude
29-Sep
Jer
Jer
Jer
Jer
Jer
6-Oct
Jer
Jer
1 Ki
1 Ki
1 Ki
13-Oct
2 Ki
2 Ki
2 Ki
Wis
Wis
20-Oct
Mark
Mark
Mark
Heb
1 Ti / 2 Ti
27-Oct
Prov
Prov
Prov
Tob
Amos
3-Nov
1 Ch
1 Ch
1 Ch
Hos
Ezra
10-Nov
2 Ch
2 Ch
2 Ch
2 Ch
Neh
17-Nov
John
John
John
1 Pe / 2 Pe
1 Th / 2 Th
24-Nov
1 Mac
1 Mac
1 Mac
Dan
Dan
1-Dec
2 Mac
2 Mac
2 Mac
Mic / Jon
Song / Obad
8-Dec
Ezek
Ezek
Ezek
Ezek
Ezek
15-Dec
Job
Job
Job
Job
Ester
22-Dec
Rev
Rev
1 - 3 Jn



No comments:

Post a Comment