Friday, October 4, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Welcome October!



I was sitting down to write random things and I realized it is time for 7 Quick Takes Friday at Conversion Diary.   Yay 7 Quick Takes!


It has been a bit of a time since my last blog post.  Since then, I've done enrolled in a Certificate of Catholic Theology course!  Woo hoo.  It starts soon.  I'm very excited about it and have been reading the required texts ahead of time.  That's how happy I am! 

(Don't worry Dad, I'll use proper grammar for any papers I do there.  Promise.)



I think the last time I posted, there was a picture of a deer.  I went back and saw FIVE deer the next time.



Also since the last blog update, I purchased some amazing Bible software, Logos.  They have a Catholic specific package, Verbum.  A little pricey, but it is amazing stuff!  Everything is linked together, so when you read the Catechism it will link to other texts from the Bible to early Church history.  I can pull in the lectionary and fully research Sunday's readings ahead of time, spanning from early commentary to later commentary.  There are also graphs, which you know makes me happy.


Have I mentioned I started CrossFit?  I mention it now because it is sure to come up again and again.  I had rejected the idea of joining it in January, when I told my doctor "It just seems a little excessive."  And it is. In a good way.  It is my new most favorite cult ever.  Where else do you pay to go be miserable and get smacked in the face with a 10 lb wall ball and actually be happy about it?  It is insane.  And awesome all at the same time. 

I've been stalking all the top athletes on YouTube.  I bought a book that will help increase my mobility - a term I'd not actually heard of two months ago.  I am going to reward my participation with more gym clothes.  Clearly a cult!

Seriously, I sent the following FB message to a close friend just last week:
Will you tell me if/when it goes from "It is cool Julie found a new hobby that improves her health and mental well being all while preparing her for the future" to "someone needs to tell Julie she isn't actually an awesome athlete, she's spending too much time/money on a hobby that she's overdoing and hurting herself and her relationships with, and/or that she seems to care more about her hip flexibility than she does the resurrection?"



Everyone is all crazy over Pope Francis and the ridiculous coverage the media gives him.  Which is to say he gives a 12,000 word interview and they badly misquote a single sentence out of context to prove their political agenda.  Here's the perfect cartoon to lighten our anxieties.



Turkeys, turkeys, turkeys!  Boy do I have turkeys!  Last year on Black Friday, I bought three.  Why?  I don't know.  They were on sale.  Also, my company gave me one.  So I have plenty of turkeys.  I made one last Sunday and then used it to make turkey soup and awesome turkey broth.  I leave the carcass and veggies in a crockpot for days to get all the good stuff out of the bones and then freeze the liquid in ice cube trays for easy use later.  I'm going to have a lot of broth!


Go here and read the best obituary ever.  May our own be so glorious someday.



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!



No comments:

Post a Comment