Friday, January 17, 2014

7 Quick Takes

--- 1 ---

Despite my best efforts, I did indeed get the stomach bug last week.  I spent Saturday night and Sunday dealing with that.  Sadly, that means I've not only failed in my resolution to attend daily mass once a week, I've actually skipped the first two Sundays of 2014.  Even though they were both for good reason, I'm still really looking forward to this Sunday.

The stomach flu is also why I visited no blogs this week and left no comments.  I'm a bad blogger!  :)

--- 2 ---

Speaking of Sunday, we will be celebrating the Second Sunday of Ordinary time.  If you're like me, you're wondering where the First Sunday of Ordinary time went.  Last Sunday was the Baptism of our Lord AND the First Sunday of Ordinary Time.  Why?  I don't know.  Perhaps it is to confuse those of us who notice such things.

--- 3 ---

Prior to last week's illness, I was able to participate in the Saturday morning walk/jog for my Couch to 3.1 group. I assume they don't say Couch to 5k for trademark reasons, but it is the same idea.  It was an enjoyable time, if cold.  We ran for 30 seconds and walked for 1:30 for about 25 minutes.  My understanding is tomorrow I'll be able to get with a group that runs more at a chunk.  

I don't have any cardio issues with running.  Apparently I have some arch problems which cause some pain in my inner shin area.  Sometimes I'd call them shin splints and sometimes they're lower.  The podiatrist said I'd over-stretched my posterior tibial tendon, and you aren't alone if it sounds like that's in my butt.  It's actually down near my ankle.  Anyway, I now have better shoes, better arch supports, and a few months of CrossFit making that all stronger so I only have mild discomfort now.  I don't actually like running though.  I'm only doing it so I'll be able to change careers and become a police officer.  Give me a rower, bike, or elliptical any day!

--- 4 ---

On the off chance you're bored, are with a friend, and have a tape measure, would you like to do me a favor?  Sit on the ground with your feet straight out in front of you.  Sit up straight.  Have your friend measure from the ground to the edge of your armpit.  Comment with the measurement in inches.  Why?  It's for a super secret project...

--- 5 ---

I started Scripture II this week at JP Catholic.  It seems to be covering the big picture of the whole Bible, going through each covenant to show God's master plan.  The book is Bible Basics for Catholics: A New Picture of Salvation History by John Bergsma.  I read it during the break and I like it.  It is similar to the seemingly more comprehensive A Father Who Keeps His Promises by Scott Hahn, one of my favorite books.  Both books do a great job explaining the whole story of salvation in context, which is important if one is trying to read the Bible.

--- 6 ---

What games do you have on your smart phone?  I don't play a lot of games on it because it hurts my neck, but I enjoy Words with Friends and Tower Madness.  Tower Madness is the best tower defense game available, in my opinion, if you're into that kind of thing.  What about apps on your phone?  I most often use Safari to connect to Facebook as I don't like the Facebook app, and I also use the WeatherBug app, Twitter, and Feedly.  I have LoseIt to track my nutrition information, Wodify to see that day's workout, Sunrise for my calendar, and Logos to read the Bible.

--- 7 ---

It should come as no surprise to anyone I'm in charge of the Biggest Loser competition at work.  Who else are you going to get to track your numbers?  We are running two tracks this time - one for people who want to compete for cash and one who just want their weight tracked for encouragement.  I'm only in it for the graphs!


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment