Sunday, February 23, 2014

Advantages

I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband. ~1 Cor 7:32-34
Paul is discussing the advantages of being single.  There are advantages to being married of course, and some day I'd like to enjoy those, but it is important to remember the advantages of being single while in that state.  I (should) have far fewer attachments to the world that distract or prevent me from pursuing God's glory.  I have more time and money to help others.  I have more free time to study and pray.  I can be more open to sudden changes or circumstances that need assistance.

Let's compare this to the popular idea of the primary advantages of being a single young woman.  In that outlook, I (should) have far fewer attachments to whatever that distract or prevent me from pursuing my glory.  I have more money to buy stuff.  I have more free time to enjoy myself.  I can be more open to opportunities to develop my own career.

Buying stuff, enjoying myself, and developing my own career are of course good things and I certainly don't ignore them.  But they are not the primary advantages to being single.  They are not my primary function in any circumstance, including in my time as a single woman.  Serving God is always the primary goal, which makes those goals subordinate to what God wants in my life at any moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment